GitLab and BuildBot

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Feb 8 22:35:56 UTC 2023

On 8/2/2023 8:04 pm, Christian MAUDERER wrote:
> On 2023-02-07 23:37, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> That shouldn't be a pure decision by the one who pays for the work but one that
>>> is (in the optimal case) discussed and specified in the tickets.
>>
>> I did not know that was happening. I am sorry if you think it is and if I gave
>> you that impression.
>
> There have been relatively new tickets that changed the status from
> "needs-funding" to "funded" nearly without delay. That was a bit surprising for me.
>
> It seems that the tickets are still updated based on feedback so that is fine
> and it's great that someone funded them. It just would have been nice if there
> would have been some announcement for two or three days like "Someone wants to
> fund the tickets 1, 2 and that part of 4 exactly like they are written now. If
> there are big objections with the direction, please speak up now."

I have never seen EB, your employer, make such an announcement about private
commercial in confidence contracts in this way and I would never expect EB to do
that so I think it is outrageous you think you can ask this here like this. The
funding is a private commercial agreement Amar has and it is no different to the
ones your employer makes. Any questions need to be directed to Amar directly but
I suggest the questions should be along of the lines of what you can fund.

This list is open and public for the project and its community and I will not
tolerant any commercial activity of any type.

Regarding the tickets, there are many cases over the years of those providing
services performing services internally, raising tickets and committing changes.
I see no issue here and I am fine with that continuing to happen.

Finally, my understanding of the funded tickets is most of the work is to
rebuild the servers to be current and capable of running modern CI systems, what
ever that ends up being.

> At the moment I don't need all tickets from my point of view. But there are no
> tickets that I would see as a problem. So again: I'm happy that our system will
> get better.

Thank you the positive feed back, it is appreciated. The process is not perfect
and what can be achieved is limited but things are moving and changing and that
is encouraging.