Jetson Nano BSP

Alan Cudmore alan.cudmore at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:32:21 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 4:09 AM Christian MAUDERER <
christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> [...]
> >     achieved
> >      > using a 60W Jetson AGX orin, hence if RTEMS support is added to
> the
> >      > board, it might help create an awesome system to handle all the
> >     critical
> >      > time constraints necessary for the vehicle and give it the
> >     ability to
> >      > coordinate a large number of concurrent activities.
> >
> >     If you are interested in machine vision based on AI and robotics, why
> >     not to look around for more open-source friendly solution? Recently
> >     just
> >     found i.MX 8M Plus and their claimed 2.3 TOPS NPU. Certainly not that
> >     powerful like NVidia, but NXP is historically more friendly to 3rd
> >     party
> >     OSes. Not sure about NPU, have not had a time to investigate that
> yet,
> >     but perhaps you do?
> >
> >     Also, with i.MX 8M Plus you still do have a chance to use AI Vision
> in
> >     non-real time manner running on top of Linux and run RTEMS real-time
> >     tasks on built in Cortex-M7 -- I mean if you decide that this
> >     particular
> >     BSP may be your GSoC. :-)
> >

> https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-processors/i-mx-applications-processors/i-mx-8-applications-processors/i-mx-8m-plus-arm-cortex-a53-machine-learning-vision-multimedia-and-industrial-iot:IMX8MPLUS
> <
> https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-processors/i-mx-applications-processors/i-mx-8-applications-processors/i-mx-8m-plus-arm-cortex-a53-machine-learning-vision-multimedia-and-industrial-iot:IMX8MPLUS
> >

> >      >> Honestly I'd rather see a new BSP for a decent RISC-V board.
> >      >
> >      > I was reading about RISC-V and their comparison with ARM SBC and
> >     in one
> >      > blog I read this - "ARM processors have benefited from a lot more
> >      > research, funding, and development than RISC-V. This means that
> >     it can
> >      > be argued that RISC-V is being left behind"
> >
> >     Do not worry about it. RISC-V is here and will stay. A lot was
> already
> >     invested into it and much more will still be...
> >
> > I'm working on submitting a RISC-V BSP variant for the Kendryte K210
> > CPU. It's low cost and has a 1TOPS NPU. I don't think the NPU needs a
> > binary driver, and it typically is used with FreeRTOS or bare metal.
> > But I do like the idea of a dual CPU system where a linux/AI processor
> > can work with a RTOS based MCU for real time tasks.
> >

> Systems where a Linux (or other desktop-like OS) runs on one core and
> RTEMS on another would be interesting for other cases too. For example
> for an industrial system where you can have a complex GUI and a real
> time part. We had some systems where we thought about implementing

It looks like the TI TDA4VM on the Beaglebone AI-64 has a dual core A72, a
number of DSPs, and 3 dual R5 processors. I'm not sure how open it is, but
Ti provides SDKs that include RTOS and bare metal examples for the DSPs and
R5s. The Beagle AI-64 is around $200USD. It looks like the SoC is targeted
for automotive applications.
https://www.ti.com/product/TDA4VM