New GPIO-API merged?

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Tue Feb 28 09:26:51 UTC 2023

Hello Jan,

Duc Doan worked on that topic during his GSoC project last year:

   https://github.com/dtbpkmte/GSoC-2022-RTEMS
   https://github.com/dtbpkmte/GSoC-2022-RTEMS/commit/0aec268f1209c
   https://medium.com/@dtbpkmte

The results looked quite interesting (even if some functions were still
missing like switching GPIO groups). But at the end there was a problem
with the Apache license of the STM libraries so that the new API would
have been left without a reference implementation.

The API in the current bsp/gpio.h is designed to match a certain GPIO
hardware module structure. It is currently implemented only on raspberry
and beagle. For every GPIO module that doesn't match the structure, it
adds quite some overhead. For example on the i.MX I tried to use it and
gave up soon because mapping the structure would have wasted a lot of
CPU cycles.

Best regards

Christian

On 2023-02-28 10:06, Jan.Sommer at dlr.de wrote:
> We now found this general GPIO API here: https://github.com/RTEMS/rtems/blob/master/bsps/include/bsp/gpio.h
> Is this the current one to use when implementing a new GPIO driver?

embedded brains GmbH
Herr Christian MAUDERER
Dornierstr. 4
82178 Puchheim