Prioritizing and documenting libbsd development goals (was: libbsd updates)

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Wed Jan 25 18:10:51 UTC 2023

> On Jan 25, 2023, at 10:55 , Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 2:25 AM Christian MAUDERER
> <christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

>>> Lets say you are a user of libbsd version X. Then you want to update to
>>> version X + 1. Version X + 1 no longer works on your system, because
>>> libbsd needs more RAM than you have. Would you really give this user an
>>> answer like this:
>>>
>>> Sorry, maintainability and transparency is more important for us, so
>>> please stick to version X.
>>>

>> Regarding code / RAM size versus maintainability:
>>
>> Maintainability does also include the upgrade process to newer base
>> versions of FreeBSD. So if it's more important that code size doesn't
>> increase compared to how easy libbsd is to maintain, that can make
>> upgrades to newer FreeBSD versions _very_ difficult. I don't think that
>> would be a good trade.
>>
>> Code size versus transparency (how easy it is for someone new to start
>> development and how easy it is to debug through the code) is a bit more
>> opinion based. The current order is from what I have understood in the
>> discussion. I don't have a problem to re-order these.
>>
>> Note: I'm OK with most orders as long as most of the maintainers can
>> agree on one.
>> --
>
> Thanks for taking this on. Instead of a strict priority for the goals,
> we might consider a limited set of different priorities that require
> judgment to make good trade-offs. In this case, I would suggest the
> following as somewhat equivalent goals, and the sets in priority
> order:
>
> 1. Real-time Impacts + Maintainability Loss
> 2. Transparency Loss + Modularity Loss + Code/RAM Size Increase
> 3. Performance Loss
>
> I wrote each goal now as a "minimize" objective. I think it is not
> possible to establish strict priorities on these objectives.
>
> Good engineering requires understanding and making good tradeoffs. I
> believe that #1 addresses the highest requirements we place on RTEMS
> and the libbsd philosophy.
>
> #2 leaves us with the burden of discussing and debating when tradeoffs
> are made. It may be better in some cases to increase code size by
> increasing modularity, but in other cases it may be better to reduce
> transparency to reduce code size.
>
> Gedare

I'm presenting my concerns without doing appropriate research.

This ties in to other needed RTEMS specifications, in particular, the specification of whsy light-weight IP can support, and if it is possible to have a project to tie "libbsd" drivers into the LWIP infrastructure (*I* don't know if that's possible).  Yes, I want my cake, and eat it too.

"It would be great" if it is clear what small memory platforms lose when going with "LWIP" vs "libbsd", and how easy to switch between the stacks given a supported driver.

Peter
Peter Dufault