RTEMS-libbsd freebsd-org submodule would require update in order to import genet drivers. Suggestions?

Thomas DOERFLER Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Sun Jun 4 18:15:09 UTC 2023

Hi,

if I get things right the update policy of freebsd is currently stuck
within the RTEMS community. There are objections regarding the way
libbsd has been created/adapted to RTEMS in the past but no real
decision how/who would provide/maintain a different way.

I think this is a really bad situation. And it doesn't only block work
from other volunteers, but also blocks required security updates.

I would vote for keeping and using the established way intact as long as
we have no alternative accepted, implemented and maintained in the main
branch. But this is only my opinion, any others are welcome to speak up.

wkr,

Thomas.

Am 04.06.23 um 17:44 schrieb Noor Aman:
> Ping, I still require some assistance.
>
> Else I'll go by with Kinsey's suggestion as follows:
>
>     If it turns out we can't trivially bring things up to current, you
>     may need to import the current updated driver from freebsd master
>     into rtemsbsd and maintain it out of tree.
>

> Thanks
>

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 at 23:46, Noor Aman <nooraman5718 at gmail.com
> <mailto:nooraman5718 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     Currently freebsd-org submodule is currently checked out at hash-ID
>     5d85e12 dated September 24, 2019 in master rtems-libbsd branch. In
>     order to import genet drivers, I need to at least get commit from
>     april 2020. Specifically this one https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24436
>     <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24436>
>
>     In terms of freebsd release numbers, I need freebsd 13.x candidate
>     in order to import genet drivers. There are no drivers for it in
>     freebsd 12.x.
>
>      From what I have read in the documentation, the working directory
>     needs to be clean in order to start importing process, but i'm
>     unable to do so when switching to main or master branch. What should
>     I do? Any suggestions?
>
>     Thank you,
>

> --
> Mohd Noor Aman