style question: breaking inline assembly lines

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Jun 14 00:20:33 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023, 4:43 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 14/6/2023 5:47 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 9:51 AM Sebastian Huber
> > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de <mailto:
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     On 13.06.23 00:04, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> >     >       "b _ARM_Exception_default\n"
> >     >       :
> >     > -    : [cpufsz] "i" (sizeof(CPU_Exception_frame)),
> >     > -      [cpuspoff] "i" (offsetof(CPU_Exception_frame, register_sp)),
> >     > -      [v7mlroff] "i" (offsetof(ARMV7M_Exception_frame,
> register_lr)),
> >     > -      [cpuvecoff] "J" (offsetof(CPU_Exception_frame, vector)),
> >     > -      [cpuvfpoff] "i" (ARM_EXCEPTION_FRAME_VFP_CONTEXT_OFFSET),
> >     > -      [cpacr] "i" (ARMV7M_CPACR),
> >     > -      [vfpsz] "i" (ARM_VFP_CONTEXT_SIZE)
> >     > +    : [cpufsz] "i"( sizeof( CPU_Exception_frame ) ),
> >
> >     If we place operators (e.g. &&, ||, ...) at the end of a broken line,
> >     then we should do this for the : as well.
> >

> > OK.
> >

> >     My current preference would be to format all non-third-party sources
> >     with a standard clang-format selection. I guess in the long run, this
> >     will be the easiest approach to maintain. If we use exotic options,
> then
> >     we may up ending as clang-format maintainers.
> >

> > I think this is the thing we have to keep in mind and I even said I would
> > go along with compromises when we started. Get as close as you can
> > and we will have to accept that -- for now. We should definitely file
> tickets
> > with clang-format and ourselves to track things we don't like. If we get
> an
> > option in the future whether we or someone else implements it, we can
> > use it and reformat again. Those hopefully are not that invasive.
>
> Sounds like a plan.
>
> I am a little concerned about the version of clang-format I need as some
> machines I work on are no at current OS versions.

I am finding myself experimenting with it for a customer's C++ project. So
far, I have not matched the style. But I am now on Rocky 9 since I built it
from source and needed cmake 3 at least. So you can't be on an old
distribution and build from source.

And Doxygen has and three different major versions between RHEL 7, 8, and
9. Using a configuration file from one on another seems to give you
warnings about unknown options or obsolete options.

Mixing new and old systems is a pain.

--joel