style question: breaking inline assembly lines

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Jun 14 15:56:22 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 8:51 AM Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> On 13.06.23 00:04, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> >       "b _ARM_Exception_default\n"
> >       :
> > -    : [cpufsz] "i" (sizeof(CPU_Exception_frame)),
> > -      [cpuspoff] "i" (offsetof(CPU_Exception_frame, register_sp)),
> > -      [v7mlroff] "i" (offsetof(ARMV7M_Exception_frame, register_lr)),
> > -      [cpuvecoff] "J" (offsetof(CPU_Exception_frame, vector)),
> > -      [cpuvfpoff] "i" (ARM_EXCEPTION_FRAME_VFP_CONTEXT_OFFSET),
> > -      [cpacr] "i" (ARMV7M_CPACR),
> > -      [vfpsz] "i" (ARM_VFP_CONTEXT_SIZE)
> > +    : [cpufsz] "i"( sizeof( CPU_Exception_frame ) ),
>
> If we place operators (e.g. &&, ||, ...) at the end of a broken line,
> then we should do this for the : as well.
>
> My current preference would be to format all non-third-party sources
> with a standard clang-format selection. I guess in the long run, this
> will be the easiest approach to maintain. If we use exotic options, then
> we may up ending as clang-format maintainers.

The options supported since clang-16 are  what I suggested:
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormatStyleOptions.html#breakbeforeinlineasmcolon

Breaking a newline after the : is not directly supported. It would
seem to be easy to add to clang-format if that's what we want.

I think I'm about 20% of the way toward being a clang-format maintainer already.