GSoC Contributor Introduction: Integrating Renode to RTEMS

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed May 10 13:45:04 UTC 2023

First, congratulations on being accepted. This project was my idea
initially so I hope it is as fruitful to the community as I hope.

developers are.

Other comments inline.

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 4:06 AM Muhammad Sulthan Mazaya <
msulthanmazaya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Mazaya, I am one of the Google Summer of Code contributors for
> this summer. I will be working on integrating the renode.io simulator
> into RTEMS. Renode (http://renode.io/) is an open source software
> development framework with commercial support from Antmicro that lets you
> develop, debug and test multi-node device systems for System on Chips (SoC)
> and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. To learn more about my project, you
> can go to the RTEMS wiki where you can access my proposal (
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2023) or you can see it from the GSoC
> website (
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023/projects/bQeiZzHB).
>
> I hope to accomplish the following things this summer:
> 1. document running RTEMS/leon3 on renode (including networking and
> debugging)

This is known to work. I think Alan Cudmore has reproduced this and there
is some information on the web about this:

https://antmicro.com/blog/2021/09/leon3-support-in-renode/

I don't think you will be adding code to renode. I hope you will submit
documentattion to them on running RTEMS on renode. I also expect additions
to the RTEMS documentation on running each BSP you succeed with on renode.

> 2. provide at least a basic resc script for other RTEMS bsps that can run
> on renode

I would hope that you are able to run multiple BSPs on renode. That's one
of the goals of this project in my mind. How many BSPs can you run on
renode?

STM32 is one which looks like it is well supported and we don't have
another simulator option.

https://interrupt.memfault.com/blog/intro-to-renode

> 3. provide a build and install recipe for Renode in the RTEMS source
> builder

Yep. Although this can evolve over the project. Focus on using it first.

> 4. potentially figure out how to run the RTEMS test suite on the
> renode-test framework

You want to use the rtems-test framework to run renode from the command
line. This should be an early goal. It should not be particularly hard. If
you can run it from the command line without a GUI, then it should be easy.
We can model this support after qemu or sis.

Now what they have for a framework is another matter. It would be nice to
exercise more of the BSPs supported but testing more BSPs using renode.io
is the first order. Make that easy for everyone.

> I will document the contribution in the RTEMS wiki (
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2023/add-support-for-renode-simulator)
> and my personal website blog (https://www.mazaya.id/blogs?tag=GSoC). I am
> truly looking forward to contributing to the RTEMS community. Hopefully,
> the things that I eventually achieve this summer will be useful for the
> community.

:) I'm looking forward to this.

--joel