[RFC] generic CAN/CAN FD susbsytem for RTEMS from scratch - Embedded World

Pavel Pisa pisa at fel.cvut.cz
Fri Apr 5 10:38:28 UTC 2024

Hello everybody,

Michal Lenc has updated the project to switch from RTEMS
semaphores allocated with object ID to self-contained
ones according to the previous response that self-contained
objects are preferred. Se actual state in the repo

  https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/otrees/rtems/rtems-canfd

The both cases of switching to self-contained objects
(interrupt_lock -> rtems_lock )
(rtems_semaphore_create -> rtems_binary_semaphore_init)
seems to cause measurable increase of overhead in the
performace testing of the virtual CAN interface
on Zynq platform. The real communication performance
does not changed significantly when actual frame sending
time on the wire is in the loop. But that is the first
glimpse result only, we may find time for more evaluation
and even integration of RTEMS to our continuous tests
setup some day.

Michal Lenc's thesis submission deadline is approaching
and we would like to have some feedback to start preparation
of proposal to integrate code into official RTEMS cpukit.

We will be both available at Embedded World Exhibition
and I will even present the article about CAN/CAN FD
latency in Linux kernel at the ewC conference

 April 9, 4:00 PM - 5:45 PM
 Session 2.3 CONNECTIVITY SOLUTIONS
 Continuous CAN Bus Subsystem Latency Evaluation and Stress Testing
 on GNU/Linux-Based Systems
 https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/#can-bus-channels-mutual-latency-testing

We will take some species from our hardware ZOO and will
show them on https://www.osadl.org/ booth OSADL booth in hall 4, booth 4-168
so if you want to contact us, you can stop there. We will have
Linux, RTEMS booted MZ_APO kits there and some other
Linux, NuttX ARM and RISC-V boards. Even if we are
not presnet at the moment on the booth, OSADL colleagues will have
contact to us. If there is some RTEMS meeting, we will try
to reserve time.

Best wishes,

                Pavel
--
                Pavel Pisa
    phone:      +420 603531357
    e-mail:     pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
    Department of Control Engineering FEE CVUT
    Karlovo namesti 13, 121 35, Prague 2
    university: http://control.fel.cvut.cz/
    personal:   http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa
    social:     https://social.kernel.org/ppisa
    projects:   https://www.openhub.net/accounts/ppisa
    CAN related:http://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/
    RISC-V education: https://comparch.edu.cvut.cz/
    Open Technologies Research Education and Exchange Services
    https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/otrees/org/-/wikis/home