RTEMS 6 branching

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijay at rtems.org
Tue Apr 23 21:45:55 UTC 2024

On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 1:02 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024, 12:56 PM Sebastian Huber <
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>
>> ----- Am 21. Apr 2024 um 3:00 schrieb Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > There has been some discussion about when we will branch and it is
>> timely we
>> > discuss this. This is my input. :)
>> >
>> > While I create the releases I am not solely responsible for milestone
>> dates or
>> > thresholds for a release.
>> >
>> > Please test the RC snaphots on our ftp server. Saying you have is as
>> important
>> > as reporting issues.
>> >
>> > 1. Are all the things need for the release resolved? Tickets reviewed?
>>
>> It would be nice to have the interrupt get/set priority API in RTEMS 6.
>> The Cortex-M floating point issue is not yet fixed in the RTEMS master.
>>

> There should be time to get it in. The Gitlab transition needs to be
> complete before the branch is cut.
>

>> > 2. The tickets are now in GitLab and locked down in Trac so how does
>> that work
>> > if we make a release now? I do not think it does.
>> >
>> > 3. GitLab is going to happen soon so do we take this moment in time and
>> make 6
>> > with GitLab and learn what we need to do easing dot releases that
>> always follow?
>> > If we do not we may end up with 6.1 and then 6.2 that has differences.
>>
>> We should definitely wait with the release after the Gitlab migration is
>> done and some basic CI is running.
>>

> I don't think holding a release for CI is needed. We have the same basic
> quality and testing we have now.
>
> Requiring more work and improvements just moves the release bar.
>
> That said, we do need to get some CI processes in place. Hopefully between
> 6.1 and 6.2, we will have at least one or two BSPs required to build.
>

>> > 4. GitLab breaks the release scripts for the release notes (ChangeLog).
>> Amar and
>> > I have discussed a few options but we are yet to test and settle on
>> anything. As
>> > is the case with these things easy is often is a series of small things
>> that
>> > take time to get right.
>> >
>> > 5. Have the docs been reviewed for RTEMS 5 vs RTEMS 6 changes? Are they
>> updated
>> > for a separated legacy network stack, net services and waf building?
>>

> Ryan and Ray worked on the autoconf to waf documentation changes a couple
> of years ago.
>
> I have no idea what impact the separated Network stacks have on the
> documentation.

The legacy networking docs are separated now with instructions on how to
build them using waf:
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/legacy-networking/index.html

We might need to mention in the user manual that there is no default
networking stack anymore and the user needs to build the network stack
separately.