removing unused third-party headers (objbsd)?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jul 1 05:19:20 UTC 2024

On 29.06.24 02:30, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 10:41 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 11:39 PM Sebastian Huber
>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

>>> These files are included from Newlib header files and are used by the
>>> legacy network stack and libbsd.
>>>
>> Ok, thanks. The legacy network stack is maintenance-only. Any updates
>> to these files will result in divergence and breakage?
>>
>> I think we need to split these files out of rtems.git. Likely the
>> current versions need to be copied into legacy network stack, and the
>> libbsd should provide its own versions?

Some files in RTEMS use the kernel-space headers:

cpukit/score/src/kern_tc.c:#define      _KERNEL
cpukit/score/src/kern_ntptime.c:#define _KERNEL
testsuites/sptests/sppps01/init.c:#define _KERNEL
testsuites/sptests/sptimecounter02/init.c:#define _KERNEL

They use the kernel-space time support. The network stack only files
could be probably moved. Right now everything works fine, so I am not
sure if it is worth the potential trouble.

>> -Gedare
>
> This got me to thinking there may be other header files that are
> potentially not used in rtems.git, and of questionable value to keep
> there:
>
> cpukit/include/rtems/vmeintr.h
> cpukit/include/rtems/spurious.h
> cpukit/include/rtems/score/smplockseq.h
> cpukit/include/rtems/score/smplockmcs.h

The smp* header can be moved to the smplock01 test.

--
embedded brains GmbH & Co. KG
Herr Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de