Update: uMon is now booting from SD

Ed Sutter edsutterjr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 16:54:19 UTC 2015

On 7/4/2015 11:23 AM, Jarielle Catbagan wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Ed Sutter <edsutterjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/3/2015 8:49 PM, Jarielle Catbagan wrote:
>>> Hi Ed,

>>> Thank you!

>>> Yes, I booted the uMon image from a FAT32 formatted SD card.

>>> I just finished the patches and I sent them already to umon-devel for
>>> your review.  Please let me know if there are any inconsistencies with
>>> the patches and I'll be glad to make the necessary changes in order
>>> for the patches to meet the specification that you are looking for.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Jarielle
>>>
>>> P.S. Have a great Independence Day weekend! :-)
>>>
>> Jarielle,
>> I didn't look at the patches yet, but I'm sure there won't be any
>> inconsistencies.  The only
>> point I was making with reference to me pushing some stuff in as well was to
>> make sure
>> that we have everything that's been done put into the port for use by folks
>> in the future.
> I agree.
>
>> For example, I just happened to take the "raw" mode approach, so I want to
>> make sure
>> that is in the port, plus I did that LED/GPIO stuff so while its very
>> trivial, its still more to
>> go into the port for general use.
>> Thanks for the patches!
>> Ed
> That's great to hear! Yeah, being able to boot using "raw" mode is a
> nice option to have.  Integrating the LED/GPIO into the port would be
> nice as well.  I think it would be cool to blink some LEDs for status
> indication when uMon is running.  What do you think?

Jarielle,
Ok I pulled in the patches and things built clean.  I see an MLO file that is the concatenation of
gp_header.bin and boot.bin.  Unless I missed something, there are no instructions for the final
step of creating the SD card.  For the raw mode, its just a 'dd'; but I suppose there's more to it
for FAT correct?
Can you add some instructions for this?  Assume the card is not pre-formatted as FAT.  Start
from scratch.  Then I'll follow those steps to install the card on my board to verify.
Tx