SD controller now initialized; still need to read SD ID and perform data block transfer. Some questions on TFS and booting an application image

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Jul 24 17:04:40 UTC 2015

Jarielle,
Your observation is correct.  The documentation is based on a generic,
programmable (via TFS scripts), configure-at-runtime type of bootup.
It assumes the user will use the facilities provided  by the monitor
command line.

The approach Gedare is recommending (Gedare, correct me if I'm misstating)
simply takes some defined boot sequence and shifts it from a uMon/TFS
script to a
snippet of code in the port directory.  This certainly reduces boottime
flexibility but
does keep things much less complicated.
I suppose sometimes too many options are not a good thing.

So, here are a few more thoughts...

1. Continue the MMC work and hook to the 'sd' (or similar) command to
      support the ability to read data from the MMC to RAM and write data
      from RAM to the MMC directly from the command line.
2. Step over to the Ethernet interface and implement the code that is
discussed
     in beagleboneblack/etherdev.c.

These two steps are needed no matter what follows.

We'll start by taking the "TFS-less" approach, so we now have to think about
how we replace a TFS boot script with a block of code.
Some of that may be doable by using the "docommand()" function which is
essentially the same as the "system()" function in linux.  You can issue
a command
from code.  The problem is that you really don't have a lot of control
of the flow
from one command to the next.  We'll just have to keep thinking about this.

Its a different approach than I've taken in the past with uMon, so I
apologize
for being a bit flakey here...

Ed