SD controller now initialized; still need to read SD ID and perform data block transfer. Some questions on TFS and booting an application image

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwu.edu
Fri Jul 24 17:39:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Ed Sutter <ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
> I assume the simple case would still include some kind of non-volatile
> environment (similar to uboot's setenv/getenv) right?

So, the question boils down to whether uMon can get the entire
boot-time configuration to be statically determined, either at
compile-time or provided through a configuration "file" that uMon
reads say from non-volatile storage or over net. Relying on a
non-volatile, writable environment is convenient but also prone to
abuse. If we can create a really simple bootloader that can be
configured for more, then we give users the widest flexibility in
determining what they want to leverage.

I'll say it again. For safety- and security-critical applications, the
less code that exists, and the less resources that code can access,
the easier it is to certify the code. That's my motivation here,
anyways.

Gedare