BBB/AM335x: isspace() results in data abort exception in strtol() in strtol.c and strtoul() in strtoul.c

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Jun 23 14:35:12 UTC 2015

On 6/23/2015 10:27 AM, Jarielle Catbagan wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> If I am interpreting this correctly, implementations that include
>>> <ctype.h> rely on __ctype_ptr__ to be defined else where.  The
>>> question is where?  Could it perhaps be defined in the chunk of code
>>> along with the ctype-ish table, but is not included by gcc which is
>>> why the link fails without the declartion of the __ctype_ptr__.
>> I've seen it go both ways depending on the system/toolset. Sometimes there's
>> an array named ctype_something[], and an initialized pointer (like
>> __ctype_ptr__)
>> that is pointing to it.  Other times, there's just an array and the macros
>> use it
>> directly.  If you google __ctype_ptr__ you'll see a variety.  Not sure why
>> this is.
>>> To me, it makes sense that the __ctype_ptr__ should be updated
>>> appropriately during the build process right after the ctype-ish table
>>> is integrated.  This leads me to the question as to what could be
>>> missing during the link process?  I'll definitely be looking into this
>>> more.
>>>
>>> I was thinking a solution to this, which would probably not be
>>> practical and elegant and possibly only a temporary one if ever, is to
>>> define the ctype-ish table and just update __ctype_ptr__ to point to
>>> that.  That's probably only a last case scenario.  It would make sense
>>> that this table should be pulled into the build automatically, but
>>> it's not.  I'll be looking more into this.
>> Right, that's essentially what I removed from the umon1.19 stuff when I was
>> creating
>> the initial umon tarball for RTEMS.  The original uMon code always had all
>> of this stuff
>> as part of its source code; however, some of it I pulled in from places that
>> may not be
>> appropriate for RTEMS; hence the error I put in there...
>>
>>> I agree that we should transition now to the RTEMS tools that way
>>> we'll be able to focus solely on any issues that can arise when using
>>> the RTEMS tools rather than focusing on the issues with
>>> arm-none-eabi-gcc/etc. which probably won't matter once we transition
>>> over.
>> Yep...
>> As a quick check (to make sure things work afterwards); if you wanna try
>> adding a ctype[]
>> array (you can probably just pull in the one that is in umon1.19
>> temporarily).
> I think the table would require some modification because the macros
> that access the ctype table are different.
>
> In Umon 1.19 isspace() expands to:
>
>          (ctypetbl[(int) c] & (_S | _C))
>
> whereas in the standard-defined <ctype.h> it is:
>
>          (__ctype_lookup(__c) & _S)
>
>          where __ctype_looup expands to:
>
>                  ((__ctype_ptr__ + sizeof(""[__c]))[(int)(__c)]) which
> is equivalent to (__ctype_ptr__ + 1)[(int)(__c)].
>
> Despite this difference, I will look into getting this ctype table
> working as a temporary solution for now before transitioning to the

I'm flip-flopping here myself... It may be more efficient to just get
onto the RTEMS toolset
because if we're real lucky, the problem will just go away because
appropriate libraries will
be pulled in.  Even if it doesn't at least we'll be playing in the same
field.
It's your call, it could be messy trying to shoehorn it in.