Request for the establishment of Umon coding convention

Gedare Bloom gedare at gwu.edu
Tue Jun 23 17:17:00 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Jarielle Catbagan
<jcatbagan93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> As of right now, there is no firmly established coding convention for
> Umon.  I would like to start this conversation in working towards
> establishing Umon's coding convention and then possibly developing a
> corresponding file or creating a wiki at rtems.org elaborating this
> coding convention.  This information would include how Umon
> development should be done as well.  An exception to the approach
> previously stated is if an existing coding convention is used instead.
>
> Please let me know on how we should proceed.
First identify the prevailing style. Perhaps look at some style tools
(e.g. uncrustify) to see what kind of style rules are common. Then see
if the prevailing style is similar enough to any other style that you
could just adopt it. Otherwise, we have to consider whether to define
the style rules from the existing code, or to adopt a style guide and
change the code. Now is the best time to do either, while the code
base and number of developers is small.