Why the HEAP region ?

Chris Johns cjohns at awa.com.au
Thu Jun 12 04:09:20 UTC 1997

Hi

I am using RTEMS 3.6.0 on a 68k target.

I was wondering why a separate region is created in the libc support
code for the heap ?

The bsp start code creates a region called the work space region. Why is
this region not used ?

I would like to give all the memory after the bss section to the work
space, and have the heap get memory from there. This way I do not have
to adjust the work space when a new task is added and the stack required
cannot be allocated.

This is an even greater issue when code is downloaded to a running
target (I know number of tasks etc are also fixed, but that is another
issue).

Chris