RTEMS with post-boot code.

Jacob W Janovetz janovetz at ews.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 29 21:45:57 UTC 1997

> Jake,
> going by what has been written so far - it really looks like what you want
> is RTEMS to be able to execute an image it gets from <insert-your-favorite-
> storage-place-here>.  When the application is done, it's done.  Another
> one could be run afterwards - or maybe at the same time.
> It sounds like you really are looking for a "real" OS - one that can dynamically
> load images (programs, executables, whatever-you-want-to-call-it) and
> run them.  All without rebooting/reloading/restarting/resetting.  Like I said,
> a "real" OS.  For this, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will), but wouldn't
> you need an MMU and code to run it?  Not to mention the CPU to go with
> it.

   That certainly seems more along the lines of what I'll be
trying out.  However, is an MMU really required?  I mean, assuming
memory protection is out the window.

   I'm really quite new to the RTOS/C code on embedded systems thing.

    Cheers,
    Jake

--
   janovetz at uiuc.edu    | Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with
 University of Illinois | your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
        PP-ASEL         | http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~janovetz/index.html