Flash File System

Joel Sherrill joel at oarcorp.com
Fri Feb 13 14:02:05 UTC 1998

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Robin Kirkham wrote:

> > Any file system support added should ideally plug in between  standard
> > layers like the tree-structure memory filesystem in Robin's words and a
> > device driver interface.
>
> Yes, this is what I have in mind.

I think everyone associated with RTEMS knows that we have to layer things
to support multiple hardware platforms as well as support multiple file
system standards, caching algorithms, etc.

I have a lot of faith in the technical ability of RTEMS users. :)

> > Does anyone know of a good starting point for this type of code?  VSTa,
> > BSD, Linux, etc?  Remember that we don't want to pick up any licensing
> > problems.
>
> I was thinking of something Plan-9-ish, where the "filesystem" is less of
> a filesystem, but is more of a "namespace", where names can refer to files
> (on disk or in memory), devices, tasks, network hosts, anything you can
> write a driver to implement. VSTa, I believe, tries to do this, and so
> might be a good starting point. Don't know a lot about it, though.

OK.  I think I was thinking down the same line where you mounted real fiel
systems onto a virtual namespace.

> As for as BSD and Linux go, you might find Unix kernel code to be a little
> profligate in its memory usage, and there might be underlying assumptions
> about virtual memory (the latter could be true in VSTa).

Sometimes BSD and Linux tend to be too complex from a source code reading
and understanding as well.

I don't know much about VSTa.

> > It would be nice to strive for a "community design" and start identifying
> > the pieces.
>
> And I wouldn't shy away from coming up with something quite original.

Me either.  We have different goals from most of those projects.

--joel