libio preparation for file systems

Rick McBain rmcbain at dynavision.com
Tue Feb 24 18:57:39 UTC 1998

1. My vote goes for POSIX enhancements where it makes sense.  I first got
interested in RTEMS BECAUSE it supported POSIX.  Even if you support a
limited subset (i.e., not a sanctioned profile), I would say this is a good
thing at protecting my source code investment.  In my industry, the source
code tends to live much longer than the choice of OS or processor it runs
on...

What I hear lots of people saying is that they don't want whatever is done
to be bloated.  My vote goes here, too. Our embedded applications have much
less resources than the typical VME CPU board.  Some of our applications are
desireable to fit in only on-chip flash/SRAM (although probably not
including a filesystem :)

2. On memory protection - I agree with Joel.   Supporting cache is quite
simple, compared to supporting memory protection (we use an MPC860, and I
could code the cache setup in a day or two). Also, device drivers are much
more difficult in protected systems.  As with the discussion on filesystems,
adding memory protection adds an unnacceptable burden  on many embedded
applications - it should be an optional (not required) item.

Regards,
Rick McBain
Dynamic Control Systems