can't build m68k-rtems - the sequel

Joel Sherrill joel at oarcorp.com
Fri Feb 27 16:48:49 UTC 1998

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, John Breen wrote:

> >From: Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com>
> >m68k-rtems is based on m68k-coff and the binutils and gcc targets are
> very
> >similar (gcc has a couple of extra cpp predefines).
>
> Is there any reason m68k-rtems has to be coff?  I just patched my
> gcc-2.7.2.2 to generate m68k-elf (thanks to Mark Phillips) because I
> couldn't get my emulator (SDS SingleStep) to work with coff.  We're
> looking seriously at using RTEMS on our next project, but having to use
> coff could be a definite disadvantage.

The best thing to do would be to add another m68k-rtems trrget of the
form m68k-rtems-elf.  This appears to be the convention folloed by the
linux community to handle their transitions.  In the long run,
m68k-rtems-coff needs to be there also.  m68k-rtems can alias one or the
other.  For now, it would alias m68k-coff.

This would have to be done to all packages in the toolset -- gcc,
binutls, and newlib.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development