libio preparation for file systems

Robin Kirkham Robin.Kirkham at mlb.dmt.csiro.au
Thu Feb 26 02:08:15 UTC 1998

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Chris Johns wrote:

> > > It's occurred to me that if we have an effective system of mountable
> > > namespaces, which are easy to implement, you can have the best of both
> > Cool idea.  This would be a very good way to do the discretes.  You could
> > even have the names as word-start-width-return_type.  So 0-3-15-32 would

> I also agree. I have been looking for a way to manage a very basic
> element management user interface. I decided a sort of directory tree
> would be the way. For example the rtems monitor. If a basic shell
> existed, a user could enter
>
> $ cd /cmds/mon
> $ ls
> < list of monitor commands >
> $ task
> < monitor task command output >

I like this. As well, you can have a filesystem containing all the current
RTEMS objects (tasks, semaphores, message queues, etc) with the names coming
from the four-letter object names (assuming these are printable ... in both
senses! 8-). Then you could do

 $ cd /rtems/tasks
 $ ls
 < list of current task names >
 $ ls -l TSP1
 < one-line info on task TSP1 >
 $ kill TSP1

A parody:
"RTEMS--The computer is the namespace, the namespace is the computer"

I guess it could all go a bit far. But everyone should read the Plan 9
papers at least once.

Robin