RTEMS Q.

Tomaz Stih tomaz.stih at triglif.com
Fri Jul 3 12:25:51 UTC 1998

I am new to RTEMS and I have several questions about it.

I am using my linux-i586 to produce code for m68k which
will run on embedded 68008 board. I went through asm
code step by step to find out where RTEMS starts.

As you might know m68k boards (without using VBR) have
vector table and first entry in the table is SSP and second is
RESET vector thus I was looking for code that would be
compiled to address 0x00000000 and would contain
vector table. But all I could find was crt0 in newlib and
start.s (I think) in RTEMS which contain startup code
and entry point but no vector table.

I also looked through several BSPs with no success.

My questions are :

- does linker produce appropriate RTEMS vector table
and jumps to entry point without my intervention,
does this depends on file format produced?

- i would like to produce code that would have
.text and .data in ROM and .bss in RAM, how do I
produce pure binary code for my ROM that I can simply
burn to EPROM and what is common practise to do
this in embedded systems?

- after I (that'll be tha day) successfuly compile RTEMS what
form does it takes? Is it a library that I simply link with my
projects or what? Which are the files that I receive as
results?

- i am using original gcc and have problems with
ctype.h and stdio.h, are there any problems if I
use egcs instead?

- I tried to compile RTEMS 3.6.0 unix (linux) emulator
and almost succed, there were some problems with
conflicting definitions for __open and __seek inside
my system defined fcntl.h and RTEMS libio.h which
I solved using conditional compilation but still
the compilation ends because of libc problems
(RTEMS cannot find initialization routine for libc).

- How do I tell RTEMS to use Cygnus Newlib library
and header files instead of my linux ones?

- Does RTEMS come with its own little libc
(I saw some .c files) there or are those files just
wrappers to libc or newlib?

- Are there simpler packs for specific platforms
avaliable? I would kill for motorola 68k dev tools
binaries and compiled main (not BSP dependent)
RTEMS parts with GNU debugger support.

Regards,
Tomaz