M68K Support in Rtems 4.5.0 Beta1c

Eric Norum eric at cls.usask.ca
Thu Apr 6 21:47:30 UTC 2000

Steven Johnson wrote:

> What I mean is that in /make/custom/gen68302.cfg are the lines:
>
> RTEMS_CPU=m68k
> RTEMS_CPU_MODEL=m68302
>
> which would make me believe a directory called:
> /c/src/lib/libcpu/m68k/m68302 existed.
>
> and in /make/custom/gen68360.cfg (assuming non companion mode):
>
> RTEMS_CPU=m68k
> RTEMS_CPU_MODEL=mcpu32
>
> which would make me believe a directory called:
> /c/src/lib/libcpu/m68k/mcpu32 existed.
>
> Neither of these directories exist. Or am i missing something here? Does this
> only mean IF a separate CPU directory is present in libcpu then these are the
> names to use? This seems rather confusing, especially since the documentation
> led me to believe they need to exist.
>
> The only BSP i've actually used to date has been for the PowerPC eth_comm and
> it has the declaration
>
> RTEMS_CPU=powerpc
> RTEMS_CPU_MODEL=mpc860
>
> and the directory
> /c/src/lib/libcpu/powerpc/mpc860 does exist.
>
> If no separate CPU directory exists then does the RTEMS_CPU and RTEMS_CPU_MODE
> serve any purpose?

Yes, you're missing something. :-)
Or more accurately, you're inferring something that is not true.
The reason there's only a m68040 directory in there is because the 68040
is the only M68k processor that needs special support code -- the FPSP
package.  The 68060 would need similar support, but it would appear that
no one wants to use a 68060 with RTEMS.  As you noticed, the gen68360
BSP specifies an mcpu32 processor, but has no directory in libcpu/m68k.

Eric Norum                                 eric at cls.usask.ca
Canadian Light Source                      Phone: (306) 966-6308
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-6058
Saskatoon, Canada.