MMU

Charles-Antoine Gauthier charles.gauthier at nrc.ca
Wed Apr 19 17:00:59 UTC 2000

RTEMS is meant for hard real-time systems. Such systems do not do demand
paging because of the phenomenally high cost of fetching pages from disk
(relative to CPU speeds). Virtual memory may still be used. In some BSPs
with caches, the MMU is usually set up "to stay out of the way" as Joel
puts it, but it must be programmed to control the cache. Either some
form of block address translation is used, or page descriptors must be
set up.

One could also imagine setting up virtual addressing to build a flat
address space multiprocessor where each board uses the same fixed
physical addressing, as is common with many VME cards (IMHO usually due
to brain-damaged CPU designs).

--
Charles-Antoine Gauthier
Institute for Information Technology   Institut de technologie de