BDM Interface for GDB (68360)

OUTWATER vac4050 at cae597.rsc.raytheon.com
Wed Aug 9 16:36:21 UTC 2000

Jose -
For A):

I built the Public Domain (PD) BDM interface from Eric Norum's GDB-BDM package, but I
also wanted a commercial alternative since I need more than one and I don't have the
time to build them either.

I corresponded with Motorola technical support to determine whether Motorola's
commerical BDM interface will work with GDB.  The Motorola P/N is: M68ICD32.  The
price I was quoted from Avnet Electronics for this part was $149.50 USD.

As part of my checkout of my homemade PD BDM circuit, I used the DOS based debugger
software which is available free on the Motorola Web Site:

http://www.mot.com/SPS/RISC/netcomm/tools/freeware/360debug.html

The DOS debugger S/W worked fine with the PD BDM interface.  The PD BDM interface also
works fine with GDB.

It stands to reason that if the Motorola M68ICD32 BDM interface worked with the free
DOS debugger, it would work with GDB as well.  I posed the question to Motorola tech
support and was told that the M68ICD32 is compatible with the free BDM interface.

When I get the M68ICD32 and try it I'll post the results.

Keith