[Fwd: Re: feedback requested on proposed new directive]

Rosimildo da Silva rdasilva at connecttel.com
Sun Aug 27 16:01:37 UTC 2000

This bounced a few times.... I have seen the echo of it...
Rosimildo.

From: Rosimildo da Silva <rdasilva at connecttel.com>
Subject: Re: feedback requested on proposed new directive
To: joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com
CC: rtems-users at OARcorp.com

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> We are considering adding a new directive to expose functionality
> that has long been in the SuperCore.  It is an alternate task
> entry style that follows "main".  Your task's argument list would
> look like:
>
> rtems_task MYTASK( int argc, char ** argv )

Why not a signature to match main():

	int MYTASK( int argc, char ** argv );

> The directive would look something like this (naming suggestions
> requested :).
>
> rtems_status_code rtems_task_start_main_style(
>   rtems_id         id,
>   rtems_task_entry entry_point,  /* probably need another type? */
>   int               argc
>   char            **argv
> );

I guess the idea is to start main() routine from it ?

Are you planning to remove the call to main() from boot_card.c ?

 rtems_status_code rc;
 rc = rtems_task_start_main_style( id, main, argc, argv );

What happens when exit() &/or assert() are called ?

I guess it is important to know what we are trying to
archive here:

   + have a stardard way of starting up RTEMS.

   + making easier porting 3rd party applications

   + providing a standard configuration

All programmers expects something similar a "C" program
as an entry point for any application.
A RTEMS newbee would like to have this fisrt application,
link it against RTEMS libraries, and get up and running.
At this moment, he/she should not be worried about
configuration, init task, stack size, prority, etc.

  int main( int argc, char**argv )
  {
      printf( "Hello World\n" );
      return 0;
  }

Rosimildo da Silva            rdasilva at connectel.com
ConnectTel, Inc.              Austin, TX -- USA
Phone : 512-338-1111          Fax : 512-918-0449
Mobile: 512-632-7579
Company Page: http://www.connecttel.com
Home Page: http://members.xoom.com/rosimildo/