real-time books (was: Getting started)

Thu Aug 10 12:50:29 UTC 2000

Efren Serra wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Simple question:
>
> How do I test an RTEMS application that is suppose to take command-line
> arguments?  This is my caviat:
> I got the Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2ME) VM compiled and linked on RTEMS.
> Now, the VM (cvm)
> is supposed to be called with command-line arguments.  See?

ttcp is this way.  I believe Eric Norum set things up something like
this:

  rtems_task Init
    gets(COMMAND_LINE)
    convert COMMAND_LINE -> argc, argv style
    program_main( argc, argv );

See network-demos/ttcp/rtems_ttcp.c.  I suppose the code under the
code under the comment "Break line into arguments" should be a reused
subroutine.

> VxWorks only requires cvm.o and not an executable.  Then we use a boot tool from
> WRS that downloads
> the cvm.o file and generates a symbol table; then one can run cvm from this boot
> tool.  Thanks.

<sigh>  This type of thing needs to happen for RTEMS.  Chris Johns has
made
progress in this arena with his My Right Boot.