Java under RTEMS --- status ??

Charles-Antoine Gauthier charles.gauthier at nrc.ca
Tue Aug 29 16:16:08 UTC 2000

Rosimildo da Silva wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Where are we with the java ports ?
>
>   + Kaffe   --- I guess this is probably dead by now.
>
>   + GJC     ---

Almost done, I hope. We found that the code that pushes the registers
onto the gc mark stack does not work. We need to fix this. There were
some other issues that do not show up on most Unix systems but really
bugger up RTEMS.

As of today, I have a first successful run of all the tests in the
libjava testsuite on the MBX860. This does not include the mauve tests,
as they appear to require arguments (this was discovered by John on the
afternoon that he left to go back to school, and I have not investigated
yet).

                === libjava Summary ===

# of expected passes            660
# of unexpected failures        182
# of unexpected successes       2
# of expected failures          372
runtest completed at Mon Aug 28 18:42:40 2000

182 failures is not great. I have not compared against a run on the host
system, nor have I investigated those failures. We hope to push the code
back out into the community in the next two weeks.

All our changes need to be retrofitted to the current revision of
libgcj. That should not be a big issue. Whether or not it will work is
another question, as we have not been able to move forward successfully
since 2000-02-18. The last attempt was in late July, when we found the
back end code generators in gcc emitted back code.

--
Charles-Antoine Gauthier
Institute for Information Technology   Institut de technologie de