Quick Help with File Resource limits on snapshot build

Thu Dec 7 18:26:36 UTC 2000

Jake Janovetz wrote:

> Yes, this is a funny little error that popped up at some point.
> They reduced the default number of file descriptors from like
> 20 to 3.  That prevents the network from initializing.  So,
> put this in your init.c:
>
> #define CONFIGURE_LIBIO_MAXIMUM_FILE_DESCRIPTORS   30

Each file descriptor consumes some memory for structures
and a semaphore.  With a default of 20, this was a waste of
a noticeable amount of memory for most applications.

The shift in configuration defaults was to minimize RAM
waste in applications.   :)