82596 ethernet driver for rtems-bsd - where is it?

Smith, Gene Gene.Smith at sea.siemens.com
Fri Jan 7 23:51:05 UTC 2000

> "Smith, Gene" wrote:
> >
> > I am looking into the possiblity of using rtems on a
> custom/legacy 386sx
> > board that we produce (no rtems bsp yet exists). It also
> contains a 82596
> > ethernet controller. I found the following message on the
> rtems mailing list
> > archives posted back in Aug but no response was listed:
> >
> http://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/freesupport/rtemslistArchive/1999
/august/msg001
> 09.html.
> Like Marcus, I also cannot find the referenced driver in the rtems
> distribution which I recently downloaded. Does it actually exist?
>
> -Gene
>
> Text of message from back in August '99 follows:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for the above mentioned Ethernet driver. Joel Sherrill wrote
> me the following:
>
> > I think this is now in the i386ex BSP and at least one other.
>
> > /* uti596.c: An 82596 ethernet driver for rtems-bsd.
>
> > is the top of the file's comment block.
>
> > Erik Ivanenko wrote this so ask on the main list.
>
> (I looked in rtems-4.0.0/c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/i386ex,
> rtems-4.0.0/c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/network seems to use another
> ethernet controller.)
>
> But I really can't find it.
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Regards,
> Marcus

>It's now in the snapshots and will be part of the upcoming 4.1
>distribution.
>As I recall, the driver wasn't terribly efficient and did too much work
>(IMHO) in the interrupt service routine.  I believe that someone is
>working on these improvements, though.

>--
>Eric Norum                                 eric at cls.usask.ca
>Canadian Light Source                      Phone: (306) 966-6308
>University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-6058
>Saskatoon, Canada.

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the network.c driver code in the
snapshot under i386ex bsp. The code refers to a "uti" board/nic. Is the
driver really for a specific card and, if so, who makes this card? (I found
nothing seaching the net.) FYI, on my potential RTEMS project, my 82596
ethernet controller is wired directly to the 80386 processor -- I have no
expansion card slots.
-Gene