68000 and TCP memory usage

Antti P Miettinen antti.p.miettinen at nokia.com
Thu Jul 13 08:28:44 UTC 2000

Hello!

I'm currently investigating the use of RTEMS on a mc68302 based board.
I can now run some tests on the board but I have to leave the porting
work for a while so right now I cannot investigate further the
following problems I ran into:

1. The objects crtbegin.o and crtend.o are not compiled with -m68000
   during GCC build (resulting in a "tstl a0" which is not in 68000
   instruction set). There seems to be some support for making
   variants of the crt files but I haven't had time to figure out what
   the correct fix for this would be.

2. How to correctly handle having vectors in read-only memory? I
   managed to get the hello world running by making the real vectors
   point to jump instructions jumping through a fake vector table and
   by making _VBR point to this fake table but the ticker test crashed
   somewhere with this setup. When I made the real vectors R/W, ticker
   test started working.

I will be working on these some time later but I wanted to share these
findings already now.

Then a question: about how much memory does a TCP connection take?

Antti Miettinen
Nokia Networks