powerpc boot problem

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 13 21:26:23 UTC 2000

Hi.

I'm still trying to boot the `hello' sample on a MVME2306 ppc board.
However, after experiencing a series of strange crashes in a very early
phase of system startup, I think that I might have found the cause:

The `bootloader' seems to load three (four, if there's an initrd)
consecutive blocks to memory:

|---kernel/application---| |---residual copy---| |---command line---|
(|---initrd---|)

The loader then passes control to the kernel.

One of the first things, `start.S' does, is setting up the stack to
__rtems_end + 4096, what seems to be in the middle of the residual
copy.  At the very beginning, the residual copy and the command line are
then saved to another place. However, because this saving is done by a
subroutine (shared/startup/bspstart.c:save_boot_params), this routine
itself seems to screw up the region it tries to save.
`hello' eventually gives up because the memory size reported by the
residual seems to be too small  (the residual being corrupted).

What am I missing?

BTW: what is the difference between the mailing lists, i.e. users vs.
snapshots (is the latter one for developers or only for discussing
releasing issues)?

Till.