RTEMS on MVME230X

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jul 18 00:40:59 UTC 2000

Is there anybody out there running RTEMS on a MVME230X  board (or any
other powerpc-VME board)?

I had severe problems with the bootloader: (Eric, are you still
maintaining this?)

 - the kernel `start.S' code corrupts the residual passed by the
bootloader (see my last message)
 - the bootloader re-configures the pci devices without considering the
Tundra-Universe
     (PCI-VME bridge) 's PCI slave image settings. This means that
devices can be reconfigured to
     occupy an address range that is already in use by the Universe,
i.e. a range where the Universe maps
     VME addresses.
 - The USE_PPCBUG compiler/assembler switch should take care of
disabling the MMU.

IMO, the bootloader should either not re-configure PCI or it should be
able to properly set up or disable the Universe. In any case, it should
at least _print_a_message_ when doing any re-configuration.

Also, the user should be advised to manually disable the Universe's PCI
slave if the reconfiguration is still done.

It took me quite some time to figure out that it was the bootloader that
made some devices `magically' disappear. In my case, the OpenPIC was
re-configured to disappear behind an overlapping VME region :-(.

Please, let me know if anybody is interested in my patches.

Regards, Till.