GDB Patches

Mon Jul 24 13:25:57 UTC 2000

Steven Johnson wrote:

> What exactly do the GDB Patches give you over a standard GDB Distribution for
> RTEMS?
>
> What benefit do they give say over just configuring GDB for your processor
> type and compiling it. Does it make GDB aware of the RTEMS OS constructs? (So
> that you can put a breakpoint on a specific thread for example?) Or do they
> just create an alias for rtems, so that you use target powerpc-rtems-eabi,
> instead of powerpc-eabi? Or do they do something else?

On some CPUs, they are nothing but aliases.  On other targets, the RTEMS
patch gives you significant benefits.  For example, on the i386 and
PowerPC,
you get thread-aware remote debugging across Ethernet.  On some CPUs,
you
get support for additional ROM monitors (167bug, *PPCbug, Dink32,
PPC2Dink32,
and soon 162bug).  You also get some patches to simulators.