Problems building gcc with Cygwin

Frank Szczerba frank at wmi.com
Tue Jun 13 14:38:09 UTC 2000

Probably the reason is that while most every package uses the _output_ of
autoconf (the configure script in particular), most packages have no need to
regenerate that output. That is something the packager normally does, and
then only when the configure process is changed. The GNU recommendation is
that distributions do not depend on autoconf being installed unless the user
does a 'make distclean'. On the other hand, seeing as how Cygwin is mostly
used (AFAIK) by developers, it seems that autoconf would be useful to
include. Do they include gnu m4 (autoconf needs it)?

Frank