Rtems Socket Options

gene at smith.as gene at smith.as
Thu Jun 22 17:10:17 UTC 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:21:11 -0600 Eric Norum <eric at cls.usask.ca> wrote:
>gene at smith.as wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if the rtems specific socket options SO_RCVWAKEUP and
>> SO_SNDWAKEUP as documented in the Networking Suppliment work as advertised.
If
>> so, they look like a lifesaver for me.
>
>AFAIK they work properly.  You have to keep in mind that your callback
>routine is invoked in the context of the network task.
>

>> I assume also that they can be used to indicate when a non-blocking
connection
>> has occurred instead of using select.
>>

>Yes, that was the intention.
>Select() is very expensive.
>
>--
>Eric Norum                                 eric at cls.usask.ca
>Canadian Light Source                      Phone: (306) 966-6308
>University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-6058
>Saskatoon, Canada.

What restrictions does being "in the context of the network" task impose?
According to the networking manual, you just can't call networking functions
but you can make other rtems calls such as sending an event to a task. Can you
access your global or static variables from within the callback function?

--
Get your firstname at lastname email for FREE at http://NamePlanet.com