RTEMS 4.5.0-beta1c build problem

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Mar 22 15:49:23 UTC 2000

Charles-Antoine Gauthier wrote:

> Patrick.VARNEY at syntegra.bt.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > We've got RTEMS 4.0.0 and the cross-compilation tools built in /usr/local
> > and I'm now trying to build RTEMS 4.5.0 for powerpc in
> > /usr/local/rtems-4.5.0-beta1c to keep it separate from 4.0.0. However, when
> > I run ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rtems-4.5.0-beta1c
> > --target=powerpc-rtems, the script goes round and round forever, repeatedly
> > complaining that it can't find powerpc-rtems/c. Anyone got any idea what's
> > going on ? It's okay if I don't give it the --target option, but then I get
> > the i686 target by default.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Patrick Varney
> > Tel. 01932 773576
> > Mob. 0771 8046 750
> > email patrick.varney at syntegra.bt.co.uk
>
> Looks like your building in the source directory. Is this suppose to
> work?

Yep, building RTEMS requires a separate build directory.

May-be we should check for this and refuse to run configure if trying to build
within the source tree ;)

> I always do:
>
> mkdir build-powerpc-rtems
> cd build-powerpc-rtems
> ../rtems/configure --target=powerpc-rtems ...
>
> AFAIK, many GNU-style packages will not build in the source tree.

Right.

> RTEMS
> might now be one of those since the switch to automake.

This is not related to  automake, but is subject to the build-tree layout, which
gets setup dynamically at configuration time.

> --
> Charles-Antoine Gauthier
> Institute for Information Technology   Institut de technologie de
> l'information
> National Research Council of Canada    Conseil national de recherches du
> Canada

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)