failing on packhex

Smith, Gene Gene.Smith at sea.siemens.com
Wed May 3 13:58:56 UTC 2000

> From: Matt Smith [mailto:mdsmith at engr.utk.edu]
>
> "Smith, Gene" wrote:
> >
> > Matt,
> > I can't figure this out. The big
> "./bit_rtems i386
> > cp386sx" works.
> >
> > But when I try to compile hello world for cp386sx, i get an
> error about
> > trying to do:
> >
> > sed -e 's/.$//' -e '/^S0/d' o-optimize/test.i |
> > /home/gene/b2-rtems-4.5.0/install//cp386sx/bin/packhex >
> o-optimize/test.exe
> >
> > The problem is that the path to packhex should be just
> > ...../install/bin/packhex
> > I don't know why it is putting in the cp386sx.
> >
> > I have changed the RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH to
> > /home/gene/b2-rtems-4.5.0/install/cp386sx.  (It used to end
> in /pc386)
> > Maybe this path is not right?   Any ideas?
> >
> > -D
>
> packhex isn't used for the pc386 bsp. I'm just guessing, but I'd bet
> that packhex has something to do with making an intel hex format file
> for burning to eprom. It seems that the makefile stuff that gets
> installed is in flux. Since you're not using hex files, you could just
> comment out that part, probably in the $(make_exe) macro.
>
> Hopefully, all the broken stuff in the makefiles will be fixed soon.
> It's actually fairly easy to track down, what calls what. Just start
> from the hello_world Makefile, and track down what's getting included
> and what macros are being defined. It's just tedious.
>
> Matt

Matt,
I found the problem. It is in tools/b2-rtems-4.5.0/make/main.cfg (and the
associated file in install):

PROJECT_BIN=$(PROJECT_RELEASE)/bin
should be
PROJECT_BIN=$(PROJECT_ROOT)/bin

PROJECT_RELEASE ends in the bsp name, which caused the error, while
PROJECT_ROOT is the install directory which contains bin.
-D