observation concerning GRUB

Stephan Wilms Stephan.Wilms at CWA.de
Tue May 2 08:02:30 UTC 2000

Hi,

My attempts to get GRUB to work led to an interesting observation.
First of I downloaded the file "grub144.gz" in:
   ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/betas/rtems-4.5.0-beta/
         contrib/pc386_grub_image/
(I confirmed that it was a correct binary mode download)

Next I looked at the README file and (on my Linux prompt) entered the
recommended line:
   dd if=grub144.gz of=/dev/fd0

This did NOT work. The result was a floppy without a valid file system.
It did not boot and it did not show a directory when querried with
"mdir a:".

Now we're getting to my observation (and final success): unpacking the
archive first gave me the file "grub144", which had the exact size of
one floppy, and writing that file like this:
   dd if=grub144 of=/dev/fd0
(note the missing ".gz") gave me a floppy that DID boot and that
contained the valid expected files. In addition it executed the RTEMS
progams successfully.

Interesting, isn't it ?

Greetings,

--