[Fwd: Re: Bochs simulator and pc386 BSP]

Erwin Rol erwin at muffin.org
Fri May 19 20:31:45 UTC 2000

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Erwin Rol wrote:
> >
> > here a convo i had with someone about using BOCHs with GDB.
>
> I finally have broken down and am tried BOCHs locally.  It
> built quickly and ran the grub image on the OAR ftp site
> the first time.  My .bochsrc is very close to Erwin's
> in the README on the ftp site:
>
> megs: 8
> boot: a
> vgaromimage: bios/VGABIOS-elpin-2.20
> floppya: 1_44=grub_image, status=inserted
> romimage: file=bios/BIOS-bochs-990925a, address=0xf0000
> log: ./bochs.out
> keyboard_serial_delay: 200
> floppy_command_delay: 500
> vga_update_interval: 300000
> ips:  1000000
> mouse: enabled=0
> private_colormap: enabled=0
> i440fxsupport: enabled=0
> newharddrivesupport: enabled=1
>
> So now I have a couple of questions:
>
> + Has anyone used the NE2000 network driver in BOCHs
>   with RTEMS?
>
> + Has anyone configured the mouse so we can run the
>   Microwindows demos?
>
> + What is the BOCHS_GDB_PORT?

It is a small hack for bochs that ouputs the serial port data (that on a
normal PC would go on the wires) to a socket. GDB can than connect to
that
socket to debug the target. the evironmetn variable BOCHS_GDB_PORT tells
bochs
if/and which tcp-port number to use. It is a bit of a hack and i haven't
realy developed it beter (nor did i write any real docu) , because my
actual
PowerPC hardware was done by that time. And i also found that BOCH's was
in a
rather abanded state, with the FreeMWare project taking up the
developers energy.
The patch is still on the OAR ftp site , think it is called io_dev or
so, not sure about that.

- Erwin