autoheader problem

Daniel Talayco dtalayco at broadcom.com
Thu May 25 20:54:39 UTC 2000

Hi--

I don't know if this is a common problem (I didn't have it installing 4.0.0) but I had it trying to compile the tools for 4.5.0beta3.  Running bit, I hit

cd ../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc && autoheader
/bin/sh: autoheader: not found
gmake[1]: *** [../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/cstamp-h.in] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/det/tools/build-powerpc-tools/gcc'
gmake: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
ERROR: **** FAILED **** base build (step 1)

I think I found a solution in the gcc (egcs) mail archives:

find . -name configure -print | xargs touch

Judging from the solution (and message), I take it that the patch makes the makefile think that configure needs to be regenerated using autoconf (and that autoheader is a part of that).

I'm assuming that the configuration files do NOT need to be regenerated; if someone knows otherwise, please correct me (and send me to an autoconf distribution).

Thanks,
Dan