Remote debugging?

Charles-Antoine Gauthier charles.gauthier at nrc.ca
Fri May 26 21:37:05 UTC 2000

"Jorge Andreu García" " wrote:

> Hello to all:
>
> Anyone has tried to remote debug? I am trying to debug a rtems program
> in a embebed system and I want to debug this program from a PC with
> Linux conected via serial. I know with gdb/ddd can be done, but I don't
> know which order should I give to the debugger.
>
> Thanks:
>
> JORGE

GDB needs to talk to something in the target. Your choices are:

1. Use a debug monitor on the target. Look at the files in gdb with
names like 167bug-rom.c and eppcbug-rom.c They will show you how to set
up another ROM monitor if yours is not in the list (assuming that you
have one).

2. Use the GDB stub. There is a serial communication program and monitor
for gdb. You can build and install that program into your rtems images.
It should take control of the system at boot time and communicate over
the serial line with gdb on the host. I have never used it, so I can't
tell you more.

There is also a version of a monitor that runs over a network. This is
not likely to help you until you get RTEMS up and running.

Anybody else?

--
Charles-Antoine Gauthier
Institute for Information Technology   Institut de technologie de