Lower defaults in confdefs.h

Wed May 24 11:18:13 UTC 2000

Stephan Wilms wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > There was only one reply to this.  It indicated that
> > doing this was a good thing.  So this is going to get
> > done before the next beta.  Be warned!!!
> >
> >    IF YOUR APPLICATION DEPENDS ON THE DEFAULT
> >    NUMBER OF TASKS/THREADS BEING 10 TO RUN, THEN
> >    IT WILL FAIL BEGINNING WITH THE NEXT BETA!!!
>
> In my opinion lowering the defaults is definitely a good idea. In an
> embedded environment there is no specific need for an RTOS to supply
> high and memory consuming theoretical default limits. As the
> application is tailored to the system the RTOS should also be tailored
> to the application.

This is definitely a case of creeping featuritis and too many
cases where defaults that were "nice" crept in.

I have not made any extensive analysis to push harder on lowering the
RAM Workspace but it looked like all tests ran again on sparc/erc32.
I left all BSPs building overnight and it looks like they did OK.

> The only critical thing is, IMHO, that those minimum defaults should be
> well documented. Guides like "Getting Started" and/or the "C User
> Guide" should take great care to explain the necessety of having to
> replace the defaults with your own values for all but the most trivial
> things.

Yes.  This is VERY critical when the default values will result
in you having no tasks/threads configured.  I suppose I need to
add an error check to confdefs.h to make sure that at least 1
task/thread from some API is defined.

Overall, reduced the RAM consumption considerably on
the tests I spot checked.

> Oh, BTW, next BETA ??? So I guess it will still take some time before
> we arrive at a new full official release ?

I need to check to make sure all patches sent in are applied
and committed.  If you have sent me something and not heard a
confirmation that it was applied, then please email me privately.

Stephan .. no need to mention your update of the DEC network
driver.  It is in the queue unless you want to replace it. :)