Snapshot ss-20001103 Available

Fri Nov 3 17:51:09 UTC 2000

New snapshot available in
ftp.oarcorp.com:/pub/rtems/snapshots/rtems/current.

This snapshot is a big step from the previous one in that all ports
except the PowerPC now are capable of being built multilib or using
the bare bsp technique.

BIG WARNING!!!  The newlib patch was TOTALLY reworked.  There are no
.h files in libc/sys/rtems that do not have to be.  The RTEMS POSIX
.h files were merged into libc/include.  This required moving some
things back and forth between RTEMS and newlib.  So there are new
gcc/newlib patches and RPMS (revision 11).  A minor i386 softfloat
configuration problem was fixed as well.

MIPS NEWS:  The "mips64orion" port has been reworked
by Alan Cudmore and the resulting effort is now called "mips".  The
"mips" port is multilib-compatible and better able to support the
wide variety of MIPS models out there.  All code that was available
under mips64orion is also under "mips" now.  The mips64orion port
is still present but considered obsolete.  Once we have confidence
in the "mips" port, it will be removed.  There are mips-rtems binutils
and gcc RPMS.  I heartily encourage someone to work on a mips simulator
BSP. :)

BUILD STRUCTURE:  Ralf Corsepius has been working to move RTEMS to
GNU canonicalization in preparation for multlilibing RTEMS and
creating BSP Kits.  A LOT of modifications have been to the internals
of building RTEMS but there are no noticeable changes from the
configure/make view point.  Ralf and I have repeatedly built RTEMS
over and over and things seem OK but you have been warned.

FILESYSTEM CODE LIBRARY:  Chris Johns echoed a thought I had and
submitted a patch to create "libfs".  This is to separate the filesystem
specific code (IMFS implementation for now) from the libc/system call
code in lib/libc.  All IMFS code is not in c/src/libfs/src/imfs.
We hope this provides a nice place to add new filesystems.  Each can
have its own source directory.

CS8900 NETWORK DRIVER:  Following Chris Johns post that he had an
RTEMS driver in the My Right Boot code, I added it to libchip.  It is
not enabled in the Makefile right now because there are some
build/integration
issues left to address.  But it is in and this is better because it
allows the handful of people I know who are interested in this a chance
to work on the integration problems rather than write a new driver.
Perhaps Chris has some ttcp results he would be willing to share. :)

SIM68000/SIMCPU32 BSP:  No work done.  This is a plea for someone to
give it a try and see what you can do. :)

Emjoy!