Viruses (or worms) - DO NOT RUN NAVIDAD.EXE

Nick.SIMON at syntegra.bt.co.uk Nick.SIMON at syntegra.bt.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 07:09:10 UTC 2000

Some points:

(1) At least one person in the list (Fabrizio) is now infected with
Navidad.exe  That means they are unwittingly sending out infected mails.

(2) Unlike a macro virus (which is a windows speciality caused IMHO by
outstanding stupidity on the part of someone in Seattle) this one spreads
because people *run* a program attached to an email.  Let me be plain:

*
*         DO NOT RUN ANY PROGRAM RECEIVED BY
*         EMAIL UNLESS YOU'RE VERY SURE OF IT
*
excuse shouting).

(3) Before the Linux community (and I include myself) get too smug, this
particular kind of trojan could just as easily vector through any OS that
lets users run any program, although it mightn't do as much damage on the
host.  If Linux-386 was on most desktops in the world, Navidad would have
been written for it.  If it was in Java it could run on anything!

Safe computing,

-- Nick Simon