Problems with building rtems

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Nov 16 12:45:07 UTC 2000

Stevens Brian wrote:

> >From comments sent to me it seems (quite reasonably) that I have not
> been clear enough in specifying the problem.
>
> HOST Solaris 2.6
> Target Power PC (MVME 2400)

It could be worser :)

> I have built the environment (binutils, gcc, newlib) with the command
> bit powerpc and set path to include the install directory.
>
> gcc is the host compiler and powerpc-rtems-gcc is the cross compiler.
>

>         ../rtems-4.5.0-beta3a/configure --target=powerpc-rtems
> --prefix=/home/rtems/4.5.0 --disable-hwapi --enable-multiprocessing
> --enable-cxx --enable-rdbg --disable-tests --enable-networking
> --enable-posix --disable-itron

> --enable-rtemsbsp=powerpc powerpc

This portion of the configure command probably is the culprit - It
is totally bogus.
Seeing '--rtemsbsp=powerpc powerpc' might indicate a quoting issue
in bit_rtems or it's *.cfgs.
It could be Solaris /bin/sh, which is known to be very "unique" wrt.
to shell quoting, but I'd guess on a typo somewhere.

>         creating cache ./config.cache
>         checking for RTEMS Version... 4.5.0-beta3a
>         checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-none
>         checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-rtems
>         checking build system type... powerpc-unknown-none

This also is incorrect. Your build-host system should be something
like 'sun-sparc-solaris2.6'. This indicates that your PATH might be
setup incorrectly or that Sun's infamous fake-cc issue hits again:

Try to evaluate the result of `which gcc` and the result of `which
cc`, both are supposed to point to the Solaris 'gcc' and *not* to
'powerpc-rtems-gcc'.

Then configure RTEMS with

CC=gcc <path-to>/rtems/configure [options] --target=powerpc-rtems

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung