Build issues with snapshots

Wed Nov 22 14:07:50 UTC 2000

Multiple people have reported build problems with the
last couple of snapshots.  We are moving to GNU canonicalization
of the build scripts.  This may have introduced problems or
uncovered issues in your environment.  There is no way to
tell.  The key points are:

 + report problems using a simple configure line like:
     .../configure --target=XXX-rtems --enable-rtemsbsp=YYY ...

 + You will see lines like this in the output:

   --host=i386-rtems --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=i386-rtems
   This is confusing but correct.   The build environment should
   match your development computer.   Per configure, the system on which
the
   tools will run is called the host system.  For our purposes, this
   is RTEMS.  See http://www.airs.com/ian/configure/configure_6.html

 + As always make sure the cross tools (CPU-rtems-TOOL) are
   in your PATH.

 + And (probably tripping someone), make sure CC is NOT set in your
   environment.  This can confuse autoconf.

And (VERY IMPORTANT) .. please report all problems with snapshots to
rtems-snapshots at OARcorp.com and not to me directly.  This lets other
people see the report and have input.