loopback interface

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Thu Nov 30 14:41:22 UTC 2000

"Smith, Gene" wrote:

> Joel,
>
> Do you know if the loopback/localhost interface is functional in the rtems
> tcp/ip stack?

I believe it is.

> I tried to enable it in networkconfig.h by defining RTEMS_USE_LOOPBACK and
> get a warning when I compile that the type of the pointer
> rtems_bsdnet_loopattach (a function pointer) is the wrong type. It does
> appear that the lo attach function, rtems_bsdnet_loopattach() has a
> different return type and parameters than my eth interface attach function
> uti596_attach().

Yes, that's an annoying warning.  I've never bothered to go in and fix
it though.  Someday, perhaps......

> Then when I try to run the code, I get a rtems_glue.c error "Can't set lo0
> broadcast address - Invalid parameter".

Actually that's just a warning, not an error.  In any case, the message
disappeared many snapshots ago.

> The primary interface (eth) seems to be running ok as before. I have not yet
> tried to use the lo interface.

As far as I know the loopback interface works properly.  EPICS needs it
and seems to be running just fine.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.