Best PC-based OS for RTEMS / GNAT development?

mcollins at hawkeye.sps.mot.com mcollins at hawkeye.sps.mot.com
Tue Nov 14 18:25:24 UTC 2000

Jake Janovetz wrote:

> I would certainly say Linux (for RTEMS development and for anything else).
> Which variant you use is up to you, but OAR seems to be fairly RedHat
> friendly.

  I use Debian's distributions and have not had any problems of note.
Although I generally build from source, Joel creates .deb packages
which I've tested and they work just fine.

  I've also done some SPARC/Solaris RTEMS development, and the only
problem encountered is a well-documented problem with wildcard expansion
which has a known work-around (the problem may not even exist in 4.5;
I haven't built under Solaris in a long time).  Solaris is available
for x86, and I would expect the environment to be quite similar to
that for SPARC.

  Probably any UNIX variant is a better choice than that other operating
system.

					-- MC --